Computer networking is the connection two or more computing devices for transmitting and sharing data. The devices use common communication protocols over a physical or wireless connection. Use this tag for questions about managing and using network connectivity on an Ubuntu system.
This tag covers general questions about network connectivity, such as:
- Configuring network interfaces
- Diagnosing network issues
- Establishing a network connection
Questions about networking between Ubuntu and a non-Ubuntu system are on-topic unless the issue is clearly on the non-Ubuntu side.
Most questions should also have one or more tag to identify the aspect or protocol that the question is about:
- Physical protocols and interfaces: ethernet, wifi, …
- Link and transport protocols: ppp, ip, ipv6, ipsec, ssl, pptp, …
- Application protocols: bittorrent, dhcp, dns, ftp, https, ntp, samba, smtp, snmp, ssh, …
- Communication protocols (TCP),(UDP),(HTTP),(ICMP),(POP),(FTP)
Do not use the networking tag if your question is specifically about a networked application and not about network configuration. For example: