Sixth LTS (Long Term Support) release of Ubuntu, code-named "Xenial Xerus". Released on 21st April, 2016. Will go End Of Life (EOL) April 2021. Only use this tag if your question is version-specific. Don't use this to file bugs!
Xenial Xerus was released on 21st April, 2016 and is supported until April 2021.
Code name: Xenial Xerus
The sixth stable and Long Term Support (LTS) release of Ubuntu. Canonical will provide support for five years due to popularity of LTS usage in businesses:
- Two years of support will include hardware updates
- Remaining three years will consist of maintenance upgrades.
New features include the following
- 5 year support term
- Linux 4.4 LTS kernel
- Unity online search disabled by default
- Unity launcher can be repositioned
- ZFS (file system)
- Ubuntu Software Center replaced with GNOME Software
Ubuntu Flavors available under 16.04 (questions on all are allowed):
The 16.04 Ubuntu variants are not commercially supported by Canonical.
Ubuntu Editions available under 16.04 (questions on all are allowed):