I will soon have a PC that can handle up to 32GB of RAM (Yeah my dream comes true) but I would like to know, because this is the first time I am jumping the 4GB boundary on a home computer, how much performance increase and general benefit will I have if I use 8GB, 16GB or 32GB for the system. Apart from the huge jump in price I want to see if it's worth buying more memory for Ubuntu, in this case 11.10 but soon 12.04 and how much of a difference it will be.
I will be using the 64Bit version of 11.10 for normal activities like:
- OpenOffice (Max 6 documents opened)
- Browsing with Firefox/Chrome (More than 10 tabs opened)
- Listening to Banshee
- Wine and some games
- Virtualbox (Win XP, Win 7, Ubuntu)
- Compiling from github like there is no tomorrow
- Downloading with torrent app
- Using Gimp and Inscape + Sozi
- Using Openshot/Pitivi
- Using Subdownloader for movies ...