Concerning Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (Trusty)
Software Updater lists but does not allow ticking (checking) of box to update:
[_] Libav codecs library (additional codecs meta-package)
Changes for libavcodec-extra versions:
Installed version: 6:9.18-0ubuntu0.14.04.1
Available version: 6:11.3-1~trusty
This update does not come from a source that supports changelogs.
My streamed video playback is terrible (possibly because of bloatware on an old machine) but I'm wondering if I should update codecs.
- Is there anything else to consider
- How do I get it to automatically update (if it isn't properly)
- Should I stop worrying and stop interfering?
- I'm uncertain how Libavcodec54 relates to the version numbers above.
- I don't want advice that leaves my system vulnerable or requiring future remembering of what I've done previously. e.g. see AskUbuntu question 851190
Advice pitched for a noob, please.