The issue I'm having is pretty straightforward: I'll place windows in specific workspaces. Then if the screen happens to turn off and lock (it doesn't fully go to sleep), when I unlock the screen windows will change workspaces.
What usually happens is that windows in the right two workspaces will move to the same position in the left workspaces. Though occasionally one particular window in the bottom right workspace (for Slack), will move to the top left workspace.
So, is there some way I can prevent this from happening so I don't have to go through setting up my workspaces again every time I walk away from my desk?
Some possibly relevant information:
- I'm running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
- My system is a new Dell XPS 15 9560
- I'm using the built-in Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 GPU, not the Intel GPU
- I'm using an external monitor (AOC U2879VF) via a Thunderbolt 3 dock with the built in screen disabled
- The issue still occurs if I have the built-in screen enabled
- The issue doesn't seem to occur if I'm only using the built-in screen
- A similar thing occurs when I unplug the system from the dock, but when the screen locks there's no indication that the dock is disconnected (ethernet IO lights keep flashing, keyboard/mouse stay on, etc.)