I have upgraded to Ubuntu 17.10 from 16.04.
Since everything has changed with the that release regarding the desktop manager, I could image there being some trouble. But it seems, Ubuntu is back to 'a lot of trouble during upgrading' again.
I have the following problems:
- My closing buttons are not on the right side
- I do not have a dock visible on the left hand side.
- I have no dock settings, which is kind of logical, because I have no dock
- I have no transparency
- I have still the old ubuntu settings dialog (unity7)
What I have tried
- Installing gdm3 by hand (
sudp apt install ubuntu-session gdm3), which changed the login screen, but leaves the desktop etc. broken as described
- I have purged unity8, which somehow brought
ubuntu-system-settingsover me, which I have also purged
- Changing the used manager on the login screen, which works as far as it changes the desktop from unity8 to gnome or gnome on wayland.
Can I somehow trigger the repair of the Ubuntu installation? I figure it is broken somehow? Or did it just ignore some packages, because there were packages installed for that purpose already?