At the console in the GUI it is easy to pull up the System monitor to see CPU load, Memory usage, and Network utilization.

enter image description here

As I mention in this answer:

System Monitor doesn't accurately show memory usage

I use the htop command sometimes, but am more interested in seeing a running history trend just like System-monitor instead of instantaneous values like htop shows

So is there a character terminal equivalent that can show trends and also run over ssh connections?

  • 3
    Possible duplicate of System monitor in console mode – muru Oct 31 '17 at 5:34
  • Also, plenty of CLI commands in askubuntu.com/questions/293426/… – muru Oct 31 '17 at 5:35
  • Edited to explain why this is not a duplicate. Also provided a lot of detail about htop in the answer I referenced that are missing from the duplicate that was flagged. – SDsolar Oct 31 '17 at 5:40
  • 1
    :shrug: Since the entire point of this question is to share your knowledge, I don't see why you can't simply post this answer on the dupe instead of going through all this bother to differentiate this question. – muru Oct 31 '17 at 5:41

One option is to use dstat

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install dstat

then run it by simply entering


to get this default output which updates every second and provides column headers with every screenful:

enter image description here

dstat is very versatile. Here is an article that explains the command line switches and shows some of the advanced options:

5+ “dstat” Command Usage Examples in Linux

  • Actually, after writing this post I discovered that it works really well to use Xming with PuTTY to get an X11 terminal over ssh - not on point of the question, but if I had discovered this first the question would not have been necessary: geo.mtu.edu/geoschem/docs/putty_install.html – SDsolar Oct 31 '17 at 5:48

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.