I am dual booting Ubuntu 17.10 on a Razer Blade 14" that also has Windows 8.1 installed.
On boot, it shows the dark purple-ish GRUB screen, stating "GNU GRUB Version 2.02~beta3-4ubuntu7" at the top center and the following options on the upper left:
- Advanced options for Ubuntu
- Windows Boot Mangaer (on /dev/sda2)
- System setup
In the past (before I replaced my SSD with a new one and reinstalled both OS') I could select the first option in the list below "Ubuntu", and it would load Ubuntu accordingly.
But now, when I do that it switches to a blank, dark purple-ish screen indefinitely.
So, if I reboot and select "Advanced options for Ubuntu" and select "Ubuntu, with Linux 4.13.0-16-generic" then it will load accordingly. Here's the list of options:
- Ubuntu, with Linux 4.13.0-16-lowlatency
- Ubuntu, with Linux 4.13.0-16-lowlatency (recovery mode)
- Ubuntu, with Linux 4.13.0-16-generic
- Ubuntu, with Linux 4.13.0-16-generic (recovery mode)
- Ubuntu, with Linux 4.10.0-37-generic
- Ubuntu, with Linux 4.10.0-37-generic (recovery mode)
How do I ensure Ubuntu loads normally, and automatically instead of being forced to take the steps above.
What I've Tried
I have read the following articles and tried their proposed solutions without resolution:
- Purple Screen, first time using Ubuntu | Ask Ubuntu
- Ubuntu blank purple screen on startup | Ask Ubuntu
- My computer boots to a black screen, what options do I have to fix it? | Ask Ubuntu
- This caused my screen to go black instead of purple: Ubuntu boot freeze / lockup with a blank purple or black screen | turriebuntu.wordpress.com
- I tried this and Boot Repair installs but when I attempt to open the app I just get a loading symbol and then nothing. Boot-Repair | Ubuntu Community Help Wiki
- This didn't have an answer but it appears to be a similar question: Grub loads but only show the purple screen | Ask Ubuntu
- Booting Ubuntu: Temporarily stuck on a purple screen | bleepingcomputer.com