I am aware of the various shortcuts for resizing and placing a window in a particular location, but I would like to know if there is any software or method out there for driving a window around to an arbitrary location using the keypad as if you were driving a mouse around the screen that was dragging the window.

Similar to how in a lot of programs (Google Docs, Libre Office etc.) you can move an image by dragging with the mouse or CTRL+(SHIFT)+ARROW (optional precision mode).

Example: You want to line two floating windows up horizontally but are not precise enough with the mouse, CTRL+???+ARROW

  • You mean like turning off the NumLock (which may not work as arrow keys), then pressing Alt+Space, M to move a window? – Terrance Jul 26 '17 at 17:55
  • Is it too trivial to post as an answer and mark answered? I'm still a bit new to participating in stack exchange – Peter w Jul 26 '17 at 19:25
  • I just wrote you a quick answer. – Terrance Jul 26 '17 at 19:28

The keyboard strokes to achieve that in moving the window is as follows:

Alt+Space, then M for Move, then you can use your arrow keys to move the window where ever you want. Press Esc to stop the move.

Hope this helps!

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.