So I have had ubuntu running as my main OS for about a year now and I also dual boot with Windows (So i can use photoshop and stuff). I was using Ubuntu just fine and i shut down and booted into windows to do some photoshop work and when i when i was done in windows i did an "Update and Restart".
As I always do, I boot back into ubuntu but this time i got the message
/dev/sda5: recovering journal
/dev/sda5: clean, xxx/xxx files, xxx/xxx blocks
From there, it does not boot any further. I need help so I can get my system back up and running
Here is what I have tried so far:
- booting into recovery mode and pretty much selecting every option (fsck check, clean, xFailSafe, dpkg). Every option runs just fine and doesn't show that there is any issue.
- Open XFailsSafe and try and reset graphics to default or boot through that. Doesn't seem to have done anything
- Boot using a different kernel version - got the same issue
- Boot into windows and see if any updates needed to finish - windows works fine and the updates did finish.
- i can drop into a shell and that works fine - i tried reinstalling ubuntu-desktop from here but didn't seem to help
What else can i do to fix this