First off I would like to begin with I am 100% new to Linux. With that being said I am not new to computers so I do have a fair amount of troubleshooting knowledge. I will try to give a short to the point description of what I have done.
- Created bootable flash drive using UUI and an iso from the official Ubuntu website
- Booted from the drive and activated the wifi through the additional drivers panel then tested wifi using firefox
- Installed Ubuntu without a problem and restarted laptop to boot from HDD
- Booted without issues but no wifi, opened the additional drivers panel to see the driver for wifi was turned off. Every time I click to use this driver and apply it hangs about 30% of the way through and will not continue. Laptop itself is not frozen as I can still do anything including cancel the installation.
- Reboot back into the flash drive and wifi starts working
I'm so confused lol...welcome to Linux :P
EDIT: The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 7347 with a i3-4010U and the wifi card is Dell Wireless DW1708 WLAN WiFi 802.11 b/g/n + Bluetooth 4.0 NGFF M.2 Card Part#: WC50G
01:00.0 Network controller : Broadcom Limited BCM43142 802.11b/g/n [14e4:4365] (rev 01) Subsystem: Dell BCM43142 802.11b/g/n [1028:0018] Kernel driver in use: wl Kernel modules: bcma, wl
0: hci0: Bluetooth Soft blocked: no Hard blocked: no 1: phy0: Wireless LAN Soft blocked: no Hard blocked: no 2: brcmwl-0: Wireless LAN Soft blocked: no Hard blocked: no