I just got a X1 5th gen and when I try any flavor of Ubuntu, the Trackpoint device (TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint) does not show up:
ubuntu-mate@ubuntu-mate:~$ xinput -list ⎡ Virtual core pointer id=2 [master pointer (3)] ⎜ ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer id=4 [slave pointer (2)] ⎜ ↳ Lenovo Laser Wireless Mouse id=9 [slave pointer (2)] ⎜ ↳ SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad id=12 [slave pointer (2)] ⎣ Virtual core keyboard id=3 [master keyboard (2)] ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard id=5 [slave keyboard (3)] ↳ Power Button id=6 [slave keyboard (3)] ↳ Video Bus id=7 [slave keyboard (3)] ↳ Sleep Button id=8 [slave keyboard (3)] ↳ Integrated Camera id=10 [slave keyboard (3)] ↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard id=11 [slave keyboard (3)] ↳ ThinkPad Extra Buttons id=13 [slave keyboard (3)] ubuntu-mate@ubuntu-mate:~$
The trackpoint works fine under Windows so I know the hardware is OK. Things I have done to troubleshoot are:
- Upgraded bios to 1.2
- Tried with ubuntu-mate 16.04, xbuntu 16.04, 17.04, arch (latest), ubuntu-budgie 17.04 -- all have the same problem.
- Tried running from USB or installing on hard disk
- ubuntu versions using UEFI bios, arch used legacy bios
- disabled and enabled the trackpad - no difference
- enabled and disabled intel virtual machine options in bios
- compared with my older thinkpad that works fine and see that no trackpoint device shows up in
/dev/inputwhile they do show up in my older thinkpad.
Any ideas on how to get Linux to see/create the trackpoint device?