I Have a problem to boot Ubuntu 1604 on a machine with Windows10 and UEFI. I have a MSi GP62 7RD Leopard laptop with a PCI express SSD and a Hard disk. I use Ubuntu Linux since 804 but this is the first time I have trouble to install it on a machine with Windows installed. I read the official documentation and it won’t help. I tried Ubuntu installations with all BIOS boot combinations (all combinations of Legacy, UEFI with CSM, UEFI, Fastboot enabled, Fastboot disabled) with no result. My Ubuntu 1640 won’t boot from disk.
Before every installation use the following partitioning:
- /dev/sda1 300MiB system EFI system partitioning
- /dev/sda2 128 MiB Microsoft reserved partition File system type unknown for gparted
- /dev/sda3 80 Gib ntfs Windows10
- /dev/sda4 900 MiB ntfs WinRE tools
- /dev/sda5 93.18 GiB ext4 Ubuntu 1604 for Root file system
- /dev/sda6 64 GiB swap
- /dev/sdb1 400 MiB ntfs Data (from the default windows installation) flags msftdata
- /dev/sdb3 ext4 894.16 GiB for /Home file system
- /dev/sdb4 ntfs 20 GiB Windows Data
- /dev/sdb2 16.21 GiB ntfs BIOS_RVY (Default windows install) hidden, diag
I made this partitioning with gparted of the Ubuntu 1604 installation DvD (with libparted 3.2). I use /dev/sda5 ext4 for my / partitioning and /dev/sdb3 ext4 for my /Home partition
I also read the article https://www.tecmint.com/install-ubuntu-16-04-alongside-with-windows-10-or-8-in-dual-boot/. This Article says to create a extra partition for the windows ntfs partition. But I have already 2 partitions before my windows partition (sda1 with system EFI partition and sda2 with Microsoft reserved partition). Because sda2 have a unknown file system type for gparted, I do not dare tot wipe sda2 partition, because I do not known I can recovery the partition with clonezilla. I also do not know what function sda2 has for Windows.
What do I have to do, to get my installation working with given partitioning so I can boot from SSD? Which BIOS settings do I have to use?
What do I wrong.