0

I have been using the same IR reciever and remote for my HTPC build since 15.10 - I achieved this using LIRC with a custom lircd.conf. Recently, after I upgraded to 17.04, LIRC became unresponsive. After reading the logs and googling the issues I stumbled upon this This guy's/gal's thread documents his issues with LIRC's devinput driver after updating from Fedora 12 to 14, to be specific, the remote stopped working completely. While searching for the solution, the poster tried changing LIRC's driver to "default", which made the remote work, but only sometimes.

The same thing happened to me, I am currently running LIRC with the "default" driver, and here's how I would describe the issues: the remote starts "working" but not all button presses work all the time; to be exact, it seems in my case that LIRC almost "falls asleep", so it will ignore all the button presses unless you make them around 4-5 times in succession really fast (making 1 click per 2 seconds doesn't "wake it up"). After that, all the button presses get recognized without issues.

I tried launching "irw" to check that it's not just the applications ignoring LIRC, and actually LIRC being at fault here, and it confirmed it: when the machine it in it's "glitched" state (asleep) irw doesn't report any button presses until you "wake LIRC up" with a quick succession of button presses.

Unfortunately, as far as I understand, the issue reported on that forum was eventually fixed on kernel level - and I think that leaves me basically helpless.

Thanks in advance!

9
  • See my answer at askubuntu.com/questions/914625/…
    – heynnema
    May 26, 2017 at 1:31
  • Thank you. There's some progress, I managed to create a keymap for my remote (xbone media remote) and make it recognized on boot (it uses the NEC protocol, so had to specify that in the keymap). However, the applications themselves, be it Kodi or irexec, do not recognize half the buttons. The buttons are, however, recognized using "ir-keytable -t", so the keymap must be correct.
    – halfer
    May 26, 2017 at 16:46
  • You might look in /lib/udev/rc_keymaps/ for a prebuilt NEC map for your remote. I do believe that the button names may make a difference. See the bottom text at the link I previously provided.
    – heynnema
    May 26, 2017 at 16:53
  • I found "nec_terratec_cinergy_xs" in there and used the names provided in there for my own keymap (they seem identical to the ones I used for LIRC, but I decided to still use the ones provided, just in case) - still half the keys are not recognized, and it's not weird ones, it's the standard ones like "KEY_OK". Lircmap.xml in Kodi was changed to suit the new button names. Tried to look for keymaps made "specifically" for my remote, didn't find it there (not a surprise, really)
    – halfer
    May 26, 2017 at 17:00
  • I've got two remotes myself. The ATI works 100%, but the generic MCE remote does the same as yours. I've only briefly played with fixing it, but haven't got the hang of it yet, so I can't give any more specific advice for you. Let me know if you figure it out so I can fix mine :-)
    – heynnema
    May 26, 2017 at 17:19

0

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.