I'm trying to use a USB-C to HDMI cable (not adapter) to connect to an external monitor with no luck. The display is detected, can be selected, and displays video but the video is not displayed correctly. I'm not sure the correct terminology to describe this but it looks like this:
- I'm using an acer switch alpha 12
- APU Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 520
- the intel driver is otherwise working well.
- The apple display adapter (USB-C to HDMI/USB 3.0/USB-C) works perfectly.
- This same cable works with Windows.
EDIT: This has been confirmed with no resolution known. Seems to be related to the i915 driver. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-hwe-edge/+bug/1661987
EDIT 2: This is definitely a software issue. Works fine with Windows and MAC with no additional tweaking on the same monitor. Here's the HDMI standard for USB-C to HDMI for those who care to read. http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmialtmodeusbtypec.aspx