Posting here hoping someone knows how to fix this...
We use a lot of Ubuntu + NVIDIA in our shop, and while usually the procedures outlined in other answers work (such as this great answer) for the class black screens after login, it doesn't work for our new Kaby Lake-based machines.
We are running:
- Intel Core i7 7700K (Kaby Lake)
- B250 (Union Point) chipset (ASUS Prime B250-M Plus motherboard)
- Secure boot disabled in BIOS
- nomodeset in grub
- Tried various NVIDIA driver versions.
- Tried both 16.10 and 17.04
- Tried with and without intel-microcode
- Tried installing the latest from ppa:graphics-drivers
We get the classic black screen after logging in once the NVIDIA drivers are installed.
We could not fix it on these machines -- we tried many different offered solution. We moved the hard drive into a 4790K-based machine and it worked immediately, thus there is a real difference with either Kaby Lake, B250 chipset or the 7700K.