I have installed MS Office 2007 via playonlinux because I have a particular file that does not play nicely when saved in Libreoffice. I do all my work in Libreoffice and subsequently copy one sheet from Libreoffice into Excel. However, even though my number locale is set to continental European standards (thousands are separated by dots and decimals by comma), Excel uses US English Number formats (and hence recognizes the pasted values as text).
I already have a workaround (find and replace). However, I would prefer the file to open with more sane (from a European perspective) number defaults.
The desktop file contains the following exec part
Exec= /usr/share/playonlinux/playonlinux --run "Microsoft Office Excel 2007" %F
I tried modify it to
Exec=LANG=el_EL.UTF-8 /usr/share/playonlinux/playonlinux --run "Microsoft Office Excel 2007" %F
to no avail.
PS: I have in the meantime found another workaround (change the settings in MS Excel itself. However, I still hope for an answer that will work irrespective of the particular Windows program providing such options.