In my university's linux, there is in the dock a button that when we click on it, we can move the screen to either top right/bottom left/bottom right, and the actual screen is in the top left of this split screen. It was extremely useful cuz I was able to put for example a terminal in a screen view, and other stuff in other views. But I can't remember at all it's name...

This image explains what I'm trying to have and what do I mean by split screen into 4. Can you guys tell me what is this called and how to do it in ubuntu 16.04 ?

enter image description here


What you are looking for is the workspace switcher, you can enable it in the system settings >> appearance >> behavior.

enter image description here

Then you can install unity-tweak-tool to configure them in workspace settings

sudo apt install unity-tweak-tool

enter image description here

enter image description here

  • offtopic sorry Mark but how did you get your ubuntu window bars to look so good? – anon58192932 Sep 27 '17 at 21:22
  • You mean the theme? It is this one gnome-look.org/p/1167049 and I used unity-tweak-tool from the repos to move the controls to the left. I beleve it is the arc darker version. @anon58192932 – Mark Kirby Sep 27 '17 at 21:45

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.