I am new to Ubuntu, but have used it (minimally) for the last 2 years. After a failed update, my 16.04 refused to work. When I loaded the live DVD/CD disk, it asked if I wanted to install alongside the 16.04 on the disk.
- I chose to erase and do a "fresh" install. That attempt failed when it couldn't format the hard disk. I got a errno#5 message, stating a bad DVD drive or hard drive.
- Replaced drives, as well as cables. Got same error message.
- Burnt new disks at slower speeds from Ubuntu website. Still same problem.
- Used mini-tool partition program and partitioned hard disk to ext4. Tried installing, failed again!
- As a last ditch, I bought a new motherboard. Sad to say..., same results.
Next, I Am going to have my memory tested, but if that checks out good, I don't know what to do next!