Yesterday I was trying to change the power settings of my computer (HP Spectre x360) so that when I close the lid it suspends (which currently doesn't happen, the computer does nothing) when I came across a supposed solution to this issue that implied a kernel update. I "updated" the present kernel that came with the install to the 4.4.25 version, but now the computer doesn't boot up.
In the GRUB menu I get these boot options:
- Ubuntu, with Linux 4.8.0-46-generic
- Ubuntu, with Linux 4.8.0-46-generic (upstart)
Ubuntu, with Linux 4.8.0-46-generic (recovery mode)
Ubuntu, with Linux 4.8.0-45-generic
- Ubuntu, with Linux 4.8.0-45-generic (upstart)
Ubuntu, with Linux 4.8.0-45-generic (recovery mode)
Ubuntu, with Linux 4.4.25-040425-generic
- Ubuntu, with Linux 4.4.25-040425-generic (upstart)
- Ubuntu, with Linux 4.4.25-040425-generic (recovery mode)
When I choose the first option I get a black screen. When I choose the second I get a purple screen with this message at the top left:
Loading Linux 4.8.0-46-generic ... Loading initial ramdisk ... _
When I choose recovery mode I get a recovery menu:
I followed the instructions to do the kernel update here on linuxdaddy.