I accidentally installed
ubuntu-gnome-desktop (initially with lightdm, and later switched to gdm3) on my heavily customized Ubuntu (Unity) 16.10 environment. Yikes! Now a bunch of stuff in Unity doesn't work as it did before. I need help fixing some unresolved problems. Can you please help?
- In Unity, I can't set desktop background
- In Unity, the superkey doesn't bring up dashboard unless another application is in the foreground
- In Unity, the desktop files and folders are gone
- In Unity, I can't right-click on the desktop and bring up the contextual menu
- In Unity, the default fonts have changed
- In Unity, the touchpad-indicator crashes, looking for Synaptics touchpad driver
- In Unity, the touchpad "tap to single-left-click" no longer works
- In Unity, the touchpad preferences are missing in
System Settings/Mouse & Touchpadpanel
- In Gnome, the touchpad preferences do show up in
I believe that this is because
xserver-xorg-input-libinput got installed, thereby disabling the Synaptics touchpad driver. Can I safely uninstall this, and hopefully re-enable the Synaptics driver, without breaking anything in the Unity desktop, or the Gnome desktop?
Login screen problem
- The main login screen background is black. How do I get any background to show again?
Default DE problem
- The login area always shows "Gnome (Default)" in the list of desktop environments. How do I change the default to "Ubuntu (Default)"?
Boot/shutdown screens problem
- Boot and shutdown screens are Gnome animation/text screens. How do I bring back normal Ubuntu/Unity boot/shutdown screens?