I hope you can help me. For my class project, I'm suppose to identify and fix GHOST vulnerability in GLIBC in Ubuntu 12.04; I did that. However, the instructor doesn't want the fix by just upgrading the glibc version (by doing $apt-get upgrade.) He wants us to fix the source file and then configure it and install it. Here is what I did:
1) I downloaded the source file from https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/libc/glibc 2.17.tar.gz and it is stored it in my /Downloads.
2) then, I did $tar xvzf glibc-2.17.tar.gz
3) then, I did $cd ~/Downloads/glibc-2.17
4) I did my edits in the ~/Downloads/glibc-2.17/nss/digits_dots file
5) then, I did $./configure
here I got an error saying configure: error: you must configure in a separate build directory
6) So, I did $mkdir glibc-build
7) then, I did $cd ~/Downloads/glibc-build
8) then, I did $../glibc-2.17/configure
9) then, I did $make but it said (make: *** no targets specified and no makefile found. stop)
I really am lost here, could someone tell me what are the next procedures, i.e. how I can configure, make, and install my edits. Please help.