I have a HP-Pavilion-11-x360-PC dual boot: win 8.1 & ubuntu 16.10 for a few months now. My wi-fi on ubuntu has very bad recpetion (at home and at the university, on several networks). I don't have this problem on windows 8.1.
My hardware details: from this command:
sudo lshw -c network *-network description: Wireless interface product: RT3290 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R PCIe vendor: Ralink corp. physical id: 0 bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0 logical name: wlp2s0f0 version: 00 serial: *I deleted* width: 32 bits clock: 33MHz capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless configuration: broadcast=yes driver=rt2800pci driverversion=4.8.0-34-generic firmware=0.37 ip=10.0.0.4 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11 resources: irq:17 memory:90710000-9071ffff
I have tried these steps:
sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-generic cd ~/Desktop/backports-3.13-rc2-1 make defconfig-wifi make sudo make install
that were suggested here, because of the same wifi driver. which weren't so successful. They produced this repeated output:
$HOME/backports-4.4.2-1/drivers/bcma/driver_gpio.c: In function ‘bcma_gpio_init’: $HOME/backports-4.4.2-1/drivers/bcma/driver_gpio.c:191:6: error: ‘struct gpio_chip’ has no member named ‘dev’
It didn't work at all. I will post full output if needed, don't want to be too tedious.
Also, if I restart my computer, and load the windows OS, then the wi-fi might not work on windows as well (it will not recognize any networks at all). I would have to shutdown the computer, and turn it on again.
Another problem that I have is that the computer will sometimes freeze, and then I have to turn it off manually, so it will work again. I had this problem a few times on my windows OS, and I'm not sure what's the cause of this.
Another bugging problem is that when I switch the OSes every time the clock is two hours back or forward (I'm on UTC+2 so I see why it's a two hours difference). Is there any way to fix this small bugging thing?
Thanks in advance for your help.
The output of
iwconfig wlp2s0f0 was:
wlp2s0f0 IEEE 802.11 ESSID:"someNetworkName" Mode:Managed Frequency:2.437 GHz Access Point: **:**:**:**:**:** Bit Rate=18 Mb/s Tx-Power=20 dBm Retry short limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off Power Management:on Link Quality=20/70 Signal level=-90 dBm Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0 Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:4 Missed beacon:0
At the request of
ThisIsNotAnId I did these two commands:
sudo iwconfig wlp2s0f0 txpower auto
sudo iwconfig wlp2s0f0 rts 2347B
and now the output of
iwconfig wlp2s0f0 is:
wlp2s0f0 IEEE 802.11 ESSID:"someNetworkName" Mode:Managed Frequency:2.437 GHz Access Point: **:**:**:**:**:** Bit Rate=18 Mb/s Tx-Power=20 dBm Retry short limit:7 RTS thr=2347 B Fragment thr:off Power Management:on Link Quality=30/70 Signal level=-80 dBm Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0 Tx excessive retries:101 Invalid misc:31 Missed beacon:0
I checked it a few more times while editing, and noticed that
Tx excessive retries is incrementing, and is now at
Tx excessive retries:556.
I'm not sure what's the meaning of this, but it caught my attention.