some time ago (I think it started after my upgrade to 16.04) I started receiving notifications about going low with free space on the root partition.
First I thought that it might be due to packages kept within /var/cache after the upgrade, so I moved the folders to another partition and sym linked them to the original location. This helped but not for long. Then I noticed that I have quite a few old kernels and associated headers so I cleaned them up. This gave me about 1GB extra space, which then again disappeared.
These are my mountpoints and their current usage as shown by
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on udev 981M 0 981M 0% /dev tmpfs 200M 19M 181M 10% /run /dev/sda6 8.0G 8.0G 16M 100% / /dev/sda7 32G 16G 17G 49% /usr tmpfs 999M 300K 999M 1% /dev/shm tmpfs 5.0M 8.0K 5.0M 1% /run/lock tmpfs 999M 0 999M 0% /sys/fs/cgroup /dev/sda9 270G 41G 216G 16% /repo /dev/sda8 99G 91G 2.6G 98% /home /dev/sda10 504G 162G 317G 34% /mnt/media cgmfs 100K 0 100K 0% /run/cgmanager/fs tmpfs 200M 64K 200M 1% /run/user/1000 /dev/sr2 48M 48M 0 100% /mnt/usb-HUAWEI_Mass_Storage-0:0
As you can see
/dev/sda6) is practically full.
When I run
sudo du -h -x --max-depth=1 / I get:
469M /var 24M /etc 0 /media 13M /bin 54M /boot 326M /lib 198M /opt 6.9M /root 15M /sbin 0 /srv 8.0K /tmp 0 /cdrom 0 /mnt 0 /snap 1.1G /
which as far as I can tell shows me far less than 8GB being used.
I have been using linux on my desktop since the 90's, but apparently I am missing something here that I cannot explain. How do I find out what is consuming space on my
[EDIT]: I tried solution presented here: https://serverfault.com/questions/406069/why-are-my-xfs-filesystems-suddenly-consuming-more-space-and-full-of-sparse-file (allocsize=64k option), but no space was freed.
Per Andrius's comment, output from
magicnum = 0x58465342 blocksize = 4096 dblocks = 2096474 rblocks = 0 rextents = 0 uuid = 3a3ee397-d4e5-40f1-b179-94f3c0b566ac logstart = 1048580 rootino = 128 rbmino = 129 rsumino = 130 rextsize = 1 agblocks = 524119 agcount = 4 rbmblocks = 0 logblocks = 2560 versionnum = 0xb4b4 sectsize = 512 inodesize = 256 inopblock = 16 fname = "u.root\000\000\000\000\000\000" blocklog = 12 sectlog = 9 inodelog = 8 inopblog = 4 agblklog = 19 rextslog = 0 inprogress = 0 imax_pct = 25 icount = 60800 ifree = 27330 fdblocks = 2970 frextents = 0 uquotino = nic gquotino = nic qflags = 0 flags = 0 shared_vn = 0 inoalignmt = 2 unit = 0 width = 0 dirblklog = 0 logsectlog = 0 logsectsize = 0 logsunit = 1 features2 = 0x8 bad_features2 = 0x8