I am using Lubuntu Xenial and I would like to install a lightweight email notifier. I thought it would be easy to find a notifier with the following features:
- Lightweight, use very little memory and cpu (no heavy email clients, browser extensions, java clients etc.)
- Should have an icon in the tray (changing color when new email arrives)
- Should work with Gmail
- Should give a new email list on a popup
- Should have email preview popup/tooltip
- Should have "mark as read"
I have used checkgmail until a couple of months ago, which did all these. I kept patching it, but after the last Google protocol update I could no longer fix it.
I tried gnubiff, but it seems so outdated (no mark as read and previews only plaintext emails, which are a minority in my mailbox)
It seems that all notifiers are unmaintained and no longer compatible with newer (L)ubuntu versions. I am surprised at not being able to find a good lightweight email notifier. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.