Intel AC 8260, subsystem 0010 (included in
ubuntu 16.10 on my new
clevo P775DM3-G Laptop yesterday and wifi was working. Well i had to turn bluetooth off, then wifi showed networks, connect to one of them and then turn bluetooth on back and everything worked.
I put machine to sleep and in the morning today, opening it back everything was jumbled (distorted display and keys not working) so had to hard reset and now wifi does not work any more - does not detect any network around. How do i get it back up ?
uname -r 4.8.0-30-generic lsb_release -a No LSB modules are available. Distributor ID: Ubuntu Description: Ubuntu 16.10 Release: 16.10 Codename: yakkety
For lshw (The wireless reads disabled, that should be of concern ? ):
sudo lshw -C network *-network description: Ethernet interface product: Killer E2400 Gigabit Ethernet Controller vendor: Qualcomm Atheros physical id: 0 bus info: pci@0000:6d:00.0 logical name: enp109s0 version: 10 serial: 80:fa:5b:3a:e9:2b size: 100Mbit/s capacity: 1Gbit/s width: 64 bits clock: 33MHz capabilities: pm pciexpress msi msix bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt-fd autonegotiation configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=alx duplex=full ip=192.168.0.2 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes port=twisted pair speed=100Mbit/s resources: irq:122 memory:dc400000-dc43ffff ioport:d000(size=128) *-network DISABLED description: Wireless interface product: Wireless 8260 vendor: Intel Corporation physical id: 0 bus info: pci@0000:70:00.0 logical name: wlp112s0 version: 3a serial: a4:34:d9:ee:3e:69 width: 64 bits clock: 33MHz capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless configuration: broadcast=yes driver=iwlwifi driverversion=4.8.0-30-generic firmware=22.361476.0 latency=0 link=no multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11 resources: irq:124 memory:dc100000-dc101fff
lspci -vnn | grep -A 10 -B 10 -i wifi Memory at dc200000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K] Capabilities: <access denied> Kernel driver in use: nvme Kernel modules: nvme 70:00.0 Network controller : Intel Corporation Wireless 8260 [8086:24f3] (rev 3a) Subsystem: Intel Corporation Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 [8086:0010] Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 124 Memory at dc100000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8K] Capabilities: <access denied> Kernel driver in use: iwlwifi Kernel modules: iwlwifi
rfkill list 0: hci0: Bluetooth Soft blocked: yes Hard blocked: no 2: phy0: Wireless LAN Soft blocked: no Hard blocked: no
Edit 1: I definitely think this is something to do with the failed suspend-resume. I tried suspend resume again and it froze like the last time. However i pressed Ctrl-Alt-F1 followed by Ctrl-Alt-F7 (I used to do this on 14.04 when desktop used to freeze like every couple of hrs with Nvidia 860M to get it to unfreeze again) and after 2 min it recognised the Ctrl-F1 the screen went blank, and then after more 2 min the Ctrl-F7 got it back and everything worked and i logged in. The wifi was enabled and detected connections once more. To confirm (out of habit) i suspended & resumed once again, same problem, pressed Ctrl-Alt-F1 followed by Ctrl-Alt-F7, but this time it froze for good and after 10 min, did a hard reset. Now back to square one - wifi no longer works, lshw shows it's disabled like before :( . Don't know if this is related: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1566302/comments/123
Also here is the requested dmesg: http://paste.ubuntu.com/23625894/
And here is my current graphics card in case it helps anyone figure out what's wrong:
lspci -vnn | grep -A 10 -B 10 -i "\(nvidia\)\|\(vga\)" Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel 00:1f.4 SMBus [0c05]: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H SMBus [8086:a123] (rev 31) Subsystem: CLEVO/KAPOK Computer Sunrise Point-H SMBus [1558:7705] Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 255 Memory at 2ffff24000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256] I/O ports at f000 [size=32] Kernel modules: i2c_i801 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller : NVIDIA Corporation GP106M [GeForce GTX 1060] [10de:1c60] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller]) Subsystem: CLEVO/KAPOK Computer Device [1558:7706] Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 122 Memory at db000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M] Memory at 90000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M] Memory at a0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=32M] I/O ports at e000 [size=128] [virtual] Expansion ROM at 000c0000 [disabled] [size=128K] Capabilities: <access denied> Kernel driver in use: nvidia Kernel modules: nvidiafb, nouveau, nvidia_370, nvidia_370_drm 01:00.1 Audio device : NVIDIA Corporation Device [10de:10f1] (rev a1) Subsystem: CLEVO/KAPOK Computer Device [1558:7706] Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 17 Memory at dc080000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K] Capabilities: <access denied> Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel
Edit 2: After downloading and installing a fresh copy of firmware as asked by @chili555, here is the new dmesg: http://paste.ubuntu.com/23625981/
(The problem still exists)