How do I go about creating a boot disk, or any other type of disk that will allow me to get command prompt access, on Ubuntu for a Windows laptop?

It has to be USB, as the second laptop contains no CD drive. But I cant seem to figure out anywhere what it takes to create a bootable USB from Ubuntu that will work in a Windows environment (NTFS).

  • You're not very clear about what you want to achieve. You have two laptops, one with Ubuntu (U) and one with Windows XP (W). Do you want to access W from U? Do you want a bootable USB with full Windows on it, or only the command prompt? Will you use it on computer U or W? – theodorn Nov 20 '16 at 19:27
  • Sorry for not being clear. What I want is to be able to access the computer with Windows, via command line, as all the passwords are lost to access it. In order for me to do that, I need command line boot options. For that I need to create some startup disk. The other computer that has to do that is a Ubuntu machine. – dinnerisserved Nov 21 '16 at 8:18
  • OK, basically a lost Windows password problem. Have you seen this article on Wikihow? wikihow.com/… – theodorn Nov 21 '16 at 19:07
  • Manipulating an external computer from within a Ubuntu one, is something I know very little about, but you may find something about that in this question. askubuntu.com/questions/104474/… I would suggest trying the Wikihow steps first, though. – theodorn Nov 21 '16 at 19:12
  • 1
    NTFS is not visible on Unetbootin, but I worked around that. – dinnerisserved Nov 23 '16 at 14:27

I found a way to fix this!

Since Windows requires an NTFS bootable USB, it has to be created as such.

I installed http://gparted.org/ and formatted the USB as NTFS, and subsequently set a flag within Gparted to "boot", so that it can be treated as the boot drive.

After the USB is formatted, any ISO content can be moved to it.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.