I can't get past the login screen via GUI. After I enter the password, it takes me back to the same screen in 2 seconds. I don't see my usual background/wallpaper, just the stock purple screen. Things I've tried:
- I CAN log in via command line (ALT+CTL+F3)
- Tried replacing .Xauthority file and running chown on it
- /tmp has correct properties (drwxrwxrwt)
- checked .xsession-errors file, nothing obvious there (though it's possible I missed something)
- tried purging sources.list file
- reinstalled lightdm multiple times
- installed Ubuntu-desktop several times
- reinstalled Unity and ubuntu-gnome-desktop
- I AM able to create additional users but I am NOT able to get past the login screen regardless of who the user is.
I'm out of ideas, short of doing a clean install of Ubuntu. Please help?
EDIT: this is not a new system install question. I've been using Ubuntu for over a year without problems. I did a normal set of apt-get update upgrade and dist-upgrade over the weekend and now I can't login for some reason.