There are several questions floating around about getting Ubuntu LTS working with Nvidia 960M cards. Given that there's no definitive answer, I want to offer the following: after testing several distros, Knoppix and Kali both worked without any problems.
So, my questions:
- What is different about Ubuntu that Nvidia drivers don't work out of the box?
- More importantly, is there an easy way (for an end user) to import whatever's working into Ubuntu 16.04?
Edit: Here's what I tried:
- Purged nvidia-* and reinstalled 364 drivers.
- Got login loop, followed answers here (chown, chmod, rm .Xauthority, and /tmp)
- Reinstalled xorg and unity.
- Went to NVIDIA website and found the latest driver version that works with my card (opted for the Long lived branch).
- Purged nvidia* (no dash, following a tip in a comment), and reinstalled 367 drivers.
- Purged nvidia*, reinstalled 370 drivers. Currently stuck at login loop, after following instructions from 2.