With the latest major versions (15 & 16) my computer (top notch and recent hardware for 4000 Euro, all running on SSD Raid=1GB/sec) became unbearable slow.
Everything which was smooth is now jittery til complete freezing for 10+ seconds. I used to have 2 Virtual Machines running, some instances of Jetbrains with no problem at all.
I don't use any other apps than this and also didn't tweak any Ubuntu settings nor I do have lots of apps or background services installed.
The question: what can we do to improve performance? This is what I tried so far:
- removed all the bloat which usually Ubuntu is installing unasked with every major release
- disabled all unneeded services
- other display managers. i tried 'flux-box' and all runs smooth and darn fast, for days.
- investigated all logs but found no trace of bottlenecks or weird crashs in dmsg
- checked with io-top and took measures like removing those high peak services/apps
- different NVIDIA drivers
- clean installations from scratch
- setting CPU affinity for powerapps like Virtual-Machine with windows-10 x64 guest
- different memory settings for Jetbrains
- running certain apps in a RAM disc
What could I do to optimize kernel settings? I am sure the defaults won't get all the juice out of my hardware.
Currently I even have to reboot every 1-2 hours because you can't even use the app-switcher anymore. Sometimes its so bad, the launcher hangs for a minute.
thanks a lot for any suggestion. I am really desperate and close to switch back to gnome or anything which works just.
Hardware - Specs:
- Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz
- 2x2 Samsung SSD840 on 2 RAID-1
- 64GB - DDR3 Memory
- GeForce GTX 760
All with latest updates.