3

I have installed a new operating system with no GUI desktop environment at all because 99% of my programs don't use a graphical interface, but I would like something basic for the remaining 1% of my programs that use a graphical interface. No menu, no top bar, just the bare minimum to have a graphical program running in it.

I was hoping for something like LXDE but without all the bloatware.

4

You can get more lightweight than LXDE by using just a window manager like fluxbox, openbox, i3-wm or awesome from the default Ubuntu repositories instead of a desktop environment.

To install Fluxbox and a few additional packages like in the below screenshot, open the terminal and type:

sudo apt install lightdm xorg fluxbox catfish eterm hsetroot xloadimage fbautostart fbpager wm-icons
sudo reboot  

enter image description here

  • Openbox is great, doesn't have that steep of a learning curve too. I've used for quite some time on my old Toshiba L455D. There's also Blackbox, from which i believe Openbox was derived. Also quite a lovely choice – Sergiy Kolodyazhnyy Nov 13 '16 at 12:38
1

I would recommend that you check out the i3wm (i3 window manager). Apps fill the screen by default, and it is highly customizable. Here is a good tutorial.

  • 1
    Note: i3 is a tiling wm. So windows are "tiled" on screen – jiwopene Oct 11 '16 at 10:57
  • This is probably the best option to this user. A pity this answer is so minimalistic. – Luís de Sousa Oct 12 '16 at 8:43
  • @LuísdeSousa well it answered the question.But i would be happy to provide further details if you like. – kbhsas Oct 12 '16 at 8:46
  • Check out How to Answer. – Luís de Sousa Oct 12 '16 at 8:55

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.