I recently upgraded from an ancient Ubuntu installation to 16.04 LTS. Everything works well except for one thing. I can't get HDMI sound to work.
Some notes and observations:
- The computer itself is an Intel NUC
- The installation is completely standard
- The only sound and video output is through the same HDMI plug to a TV
- The sound section in System Settings shows the "HDMI/DisplayPort - Built-in Audio" device as expected, and all volumes are at 100% and nothing is muted
- Likewise for pavucontrol, it lists the "Digital Stereo (HDMI) Output" profile under Configuration and the "HDMI/DisplayPort (plugged in)" device under Output Devices, and all volumes are at 100% and nothing is muted and the sound level meters show there is sound being generated
- However regardless what sound / pavucontrol say, there is no HDMI output
- But in Kodi, while if I select the "Default, Default Output Device (PULSEAUDIO)" audio output device in Kodi there is no sound, if I select "Built-in Audio Digital Stereo (HDMI), HDMI / DisplayPort (PULSEAUDIO)" HDMI sound works just fine in Kodi. (I suspect this is because somehow Kodi with this setting outputs straight to HDMI and not to default Pulseaudio)
- Outside of Kodi, if I bring up alsamixer, hit F6, select HDMI, and hit m and m again (mute and unmute) HDMI sound comes back, but as soon as the sound source stops (like a pause a youtube video) there is no HMDI sound again
aplayI can output test sound through HDMI completely fine (using the correct card and device)
- I also tried installing Fedora 24, but still no HDMI sound
I have tried pretty much all sound issue fixes I have found, but so far the sound issue persists:
- Update Intel drivers
- Update Ubuntu (besides 16.04 I also tried the 16.10 beta, but same story there)
- Setting the default pcm card and device (from testing with
- Setting the alsa sink device with
load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:X,Yin
What can I do to debug and fix the issue?
EDIT: I also posted this question on 01.org.
I later ran
pulseaudio with higher logging verbosity. You can find the log here
Here's what I did:
- I started the daemon
- I tried increasing and decreasing the volume. I expect the little pop sound everytime i change the volume, but there is no sound.
- I then start spotify and start playing a song, but still no sound
- I then open alsamixer, select the HDMI card, and I mute and unmute the sound
- Now there is all of a sudden sound
- I increase and decrease the volume again, but this time there is sound
- I then pause the song in spotify and wait for a while
- When i start playing the song again there is no sound again
- I kill the daemon
I am using HDMI card 0 device 3.
I am not plugging in any other sound cables.