after installed Ubuntu 16.04 to external drive on Windows 8 system, i can't boot without external drive. if i plug in the Ubuntu 16.04 external drive, i can boot with grub normally. if not, it go to GNU GRUB version 2.02~beta2-36ubuntu prompt. my window use UEFI. i try running "sudo update-grub /dev/sda"( sda is my internal hard drive) but it not work.
this it how i installed Ubuntu 16.04 to external drive and all step i try to fix it.
- i format my external drive as ntfs.
- i use LiveCD and boot on disk.
- i select try Ubuntu.
- i partition using gparted by unmount than set
/ 30 GB
/Swap 8 GB
/home the rest
- i installed Ubuntu 16.04 and i set boot loader at /dev/sda
- after i done i can't boot without my LiveCD
- so i boot Ubuntu, on Ubuntu, i remove my LiveCD.
- now i use boot repair.
- it working without my LiveCD but i still need my external drive to be plug in.
- so i try running "sudo update-grub /dev/sda" but still not working.
- i use boot repair again and here is the log https://paste2.org/YjdhLnDd
thank i new any os other than window.
Edit: My external drive is wd element se 500gb with usb2.0
update i found out that some part of grub to is in /dev/sda2 and i don't know how to move it to sdb
i move grub2 to sdb1 now using http://howtoubuntu.org/how-to-repair-restore-reinstall-grub-2-with-a-ubuntu-live-cd but now no grub when boot but i can't boot to grub2