I erased windows 10 from my new machine and installed ubuntu 16.04, the installation was said to be complete. However, I did not see the guide says to check install third party software, so that is the only difference I had with the installation guide. I have tried Shift right key but nothing shows up. So I cannot boot now. The following shows and it won't proceed. How do I deal with this? Can I reinstall again? lvmetad is not active yet; using direct activation during sysinit.
I am guessing that GRUB did not install correctly. To fix that please follow these steps carefully:
- Insert Ubuntu installation disk (USB or DVD).
- Boot and select "Try without installing" option
- Open a terminal when the desktop has loaded
Run the following commands:
sudo -s add-apt-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair apt update apt install boot-repair boot-repair
Chose recommended option.
- After a while it will ask you to copy and paste commands into the terminal. Copy and paste all commands given, open a new terminal window, and paste them. You will need to do this at least twice.
- Once finished, shut down, remove installation medium, and reboot your computer.
This procedure will install GRUB on your computer, the utility that loads the Ubuntu operating system.