I want to get my network between Desktop(win7) and laptop(Ubuntu) working. I hoped to get the windows-like network file browsing, but this don't work. When I go to network in Ubuntu, there is just "Windows share" icon and when I click it, I get "Failed to retrieve share list from server".
So I tried the connect to server option using the desktop name and then IP address and both are working, however I need to enter name and password every time. But this way I can access whole computer(desktop).
So what I want:
- be able to see the desktop PC(win7) in network
- be able to acces the folders I share on that computer
Now a few notes:
- I went to advanced sharing on the win7 PC and unchecked the password sharing option
- I also shared the folder on that PC and set up the permissions of the shared folder to "everyone"
- both PCs are in the same workgroup
- I have samba installed