I have a 16.04 installation set up with my Downloads folder pointing to a secondary hard drive (shows
Downloads -> /mnt/data/Downloads ). When I run
locate to search for files, it doesn't show any files on this drive. I've run a
sudo updatedb and I check my
updatedb.conf (nothing I see excluded the
/mnt directory or the files I'm looking for)
The interesting thing to me is when I
cd /mnt/data/Downloads then run locate I can see everything in this directory but not on my primary drive. It's almost like Ubuntu has two different locate databases depending on which drive I'm on.
How can I remedy this situation?
Additional: Here's my
# PRUNENAMES=".git .bzr .hg .svn"
PRUNEPATHS="/tmp /var/spool /media /home/.ecryptfs /var/lib/schroot"
PRUNEFS="NFS nfs nfs4 rpc_pipefs afs binfmt_misc proc smbfs autofs iso9660 ncpfs coda devpts ftpfs devfs mfs shfs sysfs cifs lustre tmpfs usbfs udf fuse.glusterfs fuse.sshfs curlftpfs ecryptfs fusesmb devtmpfs"
I tried running
sudo locate and that didn't change the results. I tried running
sudo mlocate and that didn't change the results either.
I also tried finding another
updatedb.conf file and came up empty.
Update 1: The file system on the secondary drive is ext4.
Update 2: Nothing's encrypted either. I've been Googling around and noticed that's been an issue for some users.
Update 3: I'm more confused now. I'm trying to find all of the .iso files on my machine, below are the results:
@:~$ locate FreeNAS
@:~$ locate *.iso
@:~$ locate iso
(and a bunch of other results)
@:~$ find . -type f -name "*.iso"
Update 4: More results: sudo find / -type f -name "*.iso" gives me the results I want but takes a long time to come back with those results.
I wanted to dig in and see if I indeed did have two different databases since I get different locate results based on which drive I'm in. After checking the MAN page I searched for an mlocate.db file on my system, here's my results:
I was thinking possible the .VEzhqO file might be a secondary database so I tried specifying that with the -d flag for the locate command. That gave me "can not stat" error. The mystery continues.
Update 5: I have reproduced this on another Ubuntu machine, 16.04 server edition.
Update 6: So I have a solution, locate "*.iso" but now I'm curious "why" that works. I looked at the MAN page and these two links: http://www.linfo.org/locate.html and http://www.howtogeek.com/112674/how-to-find-files-and-folders-in-linux-using-the-command-line/ . None of these shed any light on why that works.