After severe difficulties with my graphics card and numerous failed attempts to fix it, I decided to reinstall Ubuntu 16.04 on dual-boot computer.
I had the following partitions:
- free space 1MB
- sda1 fat 32 272MB
- sda 2 134 MB
- sda3 ntfs 60000MB
- free space 0MB
- sda5 biosgrub 1MB
- sda7 ext 4 49998MB Ubuntu 16.04
- sda6 swap 9101 MB
- sda4 ntfs 524MB
- free space 0MB
- sdb1 ntfs 491000MB
- free space 492085MB
- sdb5 swap 17118MB
I reinstalled ubuntu on the same partition - edit partition> Ext4 journaling file system, Format- Y, Mount- /
I loaded the selected the boot loader to be installed on sda hard disk.
After installation and restarting the computer I get the message:
GNU GRUB version 2.02~beta2-36ubuntu3.1
Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists possible device or file completions.
Previously when trying to install I had the same issue, but fixing the partitions made it work. This time I can't seem to get it to work even though the bootloader is installed on the sda disk.
I've tried the following:
- reallocating partitions, reformatting and rebooting
- manual reinstall of grub from USB boot: sudo mount /dev/sda7 /mnt, for i in /sys /proc /run/dev; do sudo mount --bind "$i" "/mnt/$i"; done, sudochroot /mnt, update-grub, grub-install /dev/sda, reboot installation seemed to work but on reboot - I get the same black screen
- booting from grub: grub> set pager=1, grub> ls, #which comes up with (hd0), (hd0,apple2) (hd0,apple1) (hd1) (hd2) and multiple gpt and msdos grub> ls (hd0)/, which comes up with disk/ boot/ casper/ dists/ EFI/ install/ isolinux/ md5sum.txt pics/ pool/ preseed/ README.diskdefine ubuntu
tried a different way of reinstalling grub on live USB: sudo mount /dev/sda7 /mnt, sudo mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev && sudo mount --bind /dev/pts /mnt/dev/pts && sudo mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc && sudo mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
sudo chroot /mnt
grub-install /dev/sda grub-install --recheck /dev/sda update-grub
I get the message /proc/devices not found: fopen failed: no such file or directory
- tried boot repair, disabling secure boot in the BIOS, dpkg configure, apt-get install -fy, apt-get purge -y --force -yes grub*-common grub-common:i386 shim-signed linux-signed* (on both /mnt and sda7)
I'm not really sure what else to try.
Any help would be extremely appreciated!