After upgrading to ubuntu 16.04 I can no longer sync my iPod touch (MC008FD, 3rd generation, 32 GB - yes, I know it's an old model, but I really like that one) with Rhythmbox. The device is simply ignored and does not show up in the panel on the left.
Attempts to use amarok and gtkpod instead of Rhythmbox were unsuccessful. While amarok apologizes ("Sorry - Connecting to iPhone, iPad or iPod touch failed"), gtkpod simply pretends that there is no device. However, the iPod is recognized by the system when I plug it into the USB port: it is displayed in the launcher along with its documents. Alas, the music remains inaccessible.
A couple of the relevant libraries are already installed:
~$ dpkg -l libgpod4 libimobiledevice6 libplist3 usbmuxd libusbmuxd4 Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold | Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend |/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad) ||/ Name Version Architecture Description +++-=========================-=================-=================-======================================================== ii libgpod4:amd64 0.8.3-6ubuntu2 amd64 library to read and write songs and artwork to an iPod ii libimobiledevice6:amd64 1.2.0+dfsg-3~ubun amd64 Library for communicating with the iPhone and iPod Touch ii libplist3:amd64 1.12-3.1 amd64 Library for handling Apple binary and XML property lists ii libusbmuxd4:amd64 1.0.10-2ubuntu0.1 amd64 USB multiplexor daemon for iPhone and iPod Touch devices ii usbmuxd 1.1.0-2 amd64 USB multiplexor daemon for iPhone and iPod Touch devices
I understand that a number of similar questions have been asked before, and I made sure to read the pertinent posts, like "How to sync songs in Rhythmbox with an iPod" and "Syncing iPod touch", as well as various documentations provided, e.g., here and here before asking this question. Possibly I have overlooked something, but I have tried for some time and could not find any answer or hint that would solve the problem.
What surprises me is that Rhythmbox used to sync with that same iPod seamlessly with ubuntu 15.10. The appearance of the problem seems to have coincided with the OS upgrade. I am therefore reluctant to resign myself to concluding the that "it just doesn't work".
I would be very grateful for suggestions on how to resolve this issue.