(Check for the solution to this problem at the end of this post)
I have a freshly installed server, ubuntu 16.04.1. Then I did an installation of MariaDB, following the guidelines on the MariaDB website. Then, rebooted the server. The /etc/apt/sources.list shows the next line for MariaDB :
deb [arch=i386,amd64,ppc64el] http://ftp.nluug.nl/db/mariadb/repo/10.1/ubuntu xenial main
When I now do an
apt-get update, it shows indeed the repo :
... Get:6 http://ftp.nluug.nl/db/mariadb/repo/10.1/ubuntu xenial/main i386 Packages [5,580 B] Get:7 http://ftp.nluug.nl/db/mariadb/repo/10.1/ubuntu xenial/main amd64 Packages [5,577 B] Get:8 http://ftp.nluug.nl/db/mariadb/repo/10.1/ubuntu xenial/main ppc64el Packages [5,592 B]
Next step was an
apt-get dist-upgrade, which showed me a lot of packages that became obsolete (galera, mariadb-common...) and some packages to be removed (like mariadb-server)... which is weird, because I never asked to remove those packages...
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required: galera-3 iproute libcgi-fast-perl libcgi-pm-perl libdbd-mysql-perl libdbi-perl libencode-locale-perl libfcgi-perl libhtml-parser-perl libhtml-tagset-perl libhtml-template-perl libhttp-date-perl libhttp-message-perl libio-html-perl libjemalloc1 liblwp-mediatypes-perl libmariadbclient18 libmysqlclient18 libmysqlclient20 libterm-readkey-perl libtimedate-perl liburi-perl mariadb-common mysql-common socat Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them. The following packages will be REMOVED: mariadb-client-10.0 mariadb-client-core-10.0 mariadb-server mariadb-server-10.0 mariadb-server-core-10.0 The following packages will be upgraded: mariadb-common mysql-common 2 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 5 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
But... just to test what would happen, I accepted the upgrade.
After the upgrade, the sources.list still showed the line for Mariadb as it was in the start of this post. But... when I now do an
apt-get update... no more results for mariadb (weird again...)
# apt-get update Hit:1 http://ftp.nluug.nl/db/mariadb/repo/10.1/ubuntu xenial InRelease Hit:2 http://nl.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial InRelease Hit:3 http://nl.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates InRelease Get:4 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-security InRelease [94.5 kB] Hit:5 http://nl.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-backports InRelease Fetched 94.5 kB in 0s (290 kB/s) Reading package lists... Done
And... since the dist-upgrade did remove mysql-server, I can also no longer connect to the database.
Leaving me with one big question... what happened with my MariaDB installation on 16.04.1 ?
And .. just for the fun of it, I just installed mariadb-server again with command
apt-get install mariadb-server, but... this resulted in another error when I try to connect to the database :
# mysql -u root -p Enter password: ERROR 1524 (HY000): Plugin 'unix_socket' is not loaded
=== What I did wrong ===
After some struggling my eye catched a differerence in the release of mariadb before the dist-upgrade and after the dist-upgrade.
It turned out my automated script to install mariadb "forgot" to do an
apt-get update after I added the repo.
This caused the stock version 10.0 to be installed instead of the wanted 10.1.
Then, when you do an upgrade at a later stage, it will see that it actually needed 10.1, so it will remove the 10.0 version. And since I was the one who created this nice script to install mariadb... I can only blame myself :-)