6

It seems like a lot of folks have had problems installing 3rd party software with the Software Center. The usual suggestion is to install and use gdebi instead. However, when I try to do that I get an error:

sudo apt-get install gdebi
E: could not find package gdebi

I'm running a new installation of 16.04 LTS desktop installed on a USB drive.

So how do I work around this?

4
  • 1
    Did you enable the universe repository?
    – edwinksl
    Jun 9, 2016 at 0:52
  • Try changing the Ubuntu download server to a different country. The current server may be down
    – rancho
    Jun 9, 2016 at 1:28
  • Not familiar with the different repositories or apt in general. In previous forays into Ubuntu I could get 99% of what I wanted from Software Center and the other 1% was apt-get install that worked first time. I will research and post update. BTW, the accepted answer below works as far as installing gdebi. Just wish the Software app would work.
    – coondawg
    Jun 10, 2016 at 21:42
  • 1
    Well, sometimes you actually do get what you wish for! I don't know how or why but after installing gdebi, Ubuntu Software works. Yeah!
    – coondawg
    Jun 10, 2016 at 21:48

1 Answer 1

13
sudo apt-get install gdebi-core

Note that in general you can search for packages using:

apt-cache search <search_term>

So for example:

apt-cache search gdebi

returns info on the gdebi-core, gdebi (GNOME GUI), and gdebi-kde (KDE GUI) packages.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .