When I try to power off Ubuntu 16.04 LTS on my MSI GS60, the laptop will not shut down. Reboot works fine though. I have removed the quiet splash parameters for grub so I can see the output. When I try to power off the laptop, it gets to:
[ OK ] Reached target Shutdown [ OK ] Reached target Final Step. Starting Power-Off... reboot: Power down
and it stays like that forever. I have tried the Sys Req key trick to make it poweroff and it doesn't work.
I have tried to set the following in
/etc/default/grub and then run
- acpi=off --> won't even boot
- noapic --> will shut down, but keyboard doesn't work at all
- nolapic --> no difference
- apm=power_off --> no difference
- reboot=bios,force,efi,warm, etc... --> no difference
- irqpoll --> no difference
- acpi=force --> no difference
- xhci quirks on grub config didn't help either
This known bug is a similar issue, but unrelated since in this case the system reaches the "halt" status but doesn't shutdown.