I am confused and lost as to what to do next after having gone through the Internet for answer. I have Ubuntu 14.04 LTS installed on my laptop (WIFI) and Windows 7 (Service Pack 1) (Ethernet) on a desktop machine. I installed Remmina Remote Desktop Viewer on the laptop and enabled Remote Desktop Connection on Windows 7 machine. Based on the following question, Why won't Remmina connect to Windows 7 Remote Desktop?, I
- Enabled port 3389 on my router and on my Windows 7 Firewall.
- added the following changes in Remmina - RDP protocol, Windows IP address (192.168.1.33), Windows Username, Windows Password and RDP Security under advanced tab.
- I even
rm ~/freerdp/known_hostseven though there is nothing in that folder.
- Checked to see if I can ping my Windows 7 machine from Ubuntu and Vice Versa. I can ping these machines back and forth with no trouble.
- Even changed the security option under advanced to TLS as many have suggested online.
- Even enabled network discovery and file sharing on the Window as a last resort.
Even after all that, Remmina on Unbuntu Laptop is REFUSING to connect to the Windows 7 machine. I simply don't know why. All Remmina says is "Connecting to "mywindow" for about 3 minutes. Then, it says Unable to connect to 192.168.1.33. That's it - no warning message box of sort.
Additional information: On my Windows 7 window where you enable Remote Desktop Connection, there is only option to enable or disable remote desktop connection and it doesn't give you an option to select user.
I temporarily disabled the remote desktop connection as shown on the picture.