I am working on Ubuntu customization for production level. The setup environment is explained below:
I have some Ubuntu machines (12 to be more precise) that runs a software made by myself for this business. It boots directly to the X, automatic log-in, then opens right away mysoftware GUI.
I would like to have a custom Ubuntu installation image (for USB stick, etc...) with predefined user, variable hostname and some customization that I have already made on those machines.
So, What is the best tool to create this customized distribution (based on my needs on customization, easy deployment/customization/creation)
My problem is, I have to turn the installation process more easy. Because the HDD clone process is wasting so much time for me. And with different hardwares, I have about three different HDD clones to match them.
What I would like to accomplish on this customization:
- predefined username to log into automatically with
- predefined session customizations ($HOME customizations for OpenBox, .ssh,.compton, etc...)
- runs software right after automatic login
- automatic predefined software packages installed (from apt-get, but without internet need)
- variable hostnames (sales00, sales01, sales02, and so on...)
- set of customized permission of system calls/programs (such as chmod 4755 on /bin/date)
- customized /etc/skel for new user (just in case)
- disable automatic updates
- fresh network adapters configuration (today I have a mess on network adapters from each machine like eth49, eth88,). I wish they have all the same numbers
- network adapters predefined static IP: I have three network adapters: one has a fixed IP for all machines (the same IP 22.214.171.124 for this, though), second and third network adapters are configured through my software. So I wish I have a custom installation that configures automatically this 126.96.36.199 IP for that network adapter
And so, again, What is the best Ubuntu custom distribution creator (studio?) to work with?
P.S.: I used to try PinGuyBuilder once, but it changed to default the permissions customization (like chmod 4755 on /bin/date) and has limitations like predefined username/hostname Best Regards