I have an external USB stick and HDD that used to be listed under "Devices" in Nautilus and I was able to mount/unmount them by clicking on them. For some reason, they aren't listed any more...

The output of blkid with both inserted is:

/dev/sda1: LABEL="RM-CM-)servM-CM-) au systM-CM-(me" UUID="3C80725A80721A9A" TYPE="ntfs"
/dev/sda2: LABEL="Data" UUID="3ED8A960D8A91765" TYPE="ntfs"
/dev/sda3: LABEL="Windows 7" UUID="EEB24EBCB24E88D3" TYPE="ntfs"
/dev/sda5: UUID="b4129786-98de-46ce-81c8-2a9a132ef09e" TYPE="swap"
/dev/sda6: UUID="199c03cc-403c-400a-8805-d58275d87df5" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/sdb1: LABEL="USB_FAT32" UUID="4144-9B8B" TYPE="vfat"

So how do I fix this?

  • Welcome to Ask Ubuntu! ;-) Could you please go to a terminal by pressing [Ctrl][Alt][T] and type blkid&&sudo parted --list. Then edit your question and copy-paste the output of the command into your question so we can see what exact hardware you have. (Please help us help you!) Then leave a comment @Fabby. – Fabby Apr 12 '16 at 14:45
  • I edited my question. I don't know if this is relevant, but I often get "random" kernel panics or other problems when booting, restarting or waking up from sleep/hibernate on this particular laptop which do not occur on another running the same ubuntu so there may be some problematic hardware (probably graphics card from what I've read). Thanks for the help by the way :) – mwa1 Apr 12 '16 at 23:08
  • Those are totally different questions better asked as separate questions. can you try and sudo apt-get install ntfs-3g and change ntfs by ntfs-3g in your fstab? – Fabby Apr 13 '16 at 6:36
  • ntfs-3g is already the newest version, and I still get the error message after switching ntfs-3g in the fstab. – mwa1 Apr 13 '16 at 8:33
  • Can you change uid=1000,gid=1000,umask=0022,sync,auto,rw to defaults,noexec,windows_names,locale=en_US.utf8 in fstab? – Fabby Apr 13 '16 at 8:35

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.