This afternoon I installed TLP on my laptop running Ubuntu 14.04.
After the restart my WiFi suddenly stopped working _ message: "Disconnected - you are now offline" - I have a button on my keyboard that turns wifi on/off - now it just stays red and doesn't change (to blue) at all when pressed. - In my network indicator now there no option even to turn wifi on/off and its the same in system settings
RFKILL LIST ALLgives me:
hp-bluetooth: Bluetooth Soft blocked: yes Hard blocked: no
And no wireless mentioned at all.
- Attempted fixes: (that did not work)
- Change the following in TLP's configuration:
sudo service network-manager restart
I then uninstalled TLP (and purged) - still nothing
I then uninstalled other things I installed earlier in the day: Weather and calendar indicators, and preload.
- NOTE: i noted in my software center there was 3 changes in the history that i did not recognise: Removal of : Python3 tz, Python dateutil and python3-dateutil (I do not know what these are signifying)
I do not know what wireless card I have or how to find that out.
Kindly assist me please
- Wireless card: EDIT: found this:
RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet controller
- Running the following didnt change anything
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:hanipouspilot/rtlwifi sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install rtlwifi-new-dkms-linux-firmware sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
Edit: Seems like my wireless driver has been uninstalled somehow? am I interpreting this correctly?
sudo lshw -c network
description: Ethernet interface product: RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet controller
Nothing saying Wireless interface???