Does anyone know if the the T460s will eventually have official support, like the T450s? Or would that have happen already?
I tried Lenovo T460 with Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, 15.10, and 16.04 Beta 2 and they all had two issues:
- Using an external monitor would freeze the system. (I tried many combinations, e.g. plug-in then turn on, plug-in at login screen, different cables, etc)
- Closing the lid would cause the system to freeze and not go to sleep.
After updating to linux kernel 4.5 you can attach an HDMI monitor, but mini Display Port (mDP) will still cause the system to freeze, and closing the lid still causes the system to freeze.
Important related notes:
- You have to boot the system with the HDMI monitor attached. Only then can you plug and unplug the monitor without the system freezing.
- If you have Intel Virtualization Technology and Intel VT-d Feature enabled under "Security" in the bios (e.g. for use with VirtualBox), you cannot plug in an external display or the system will freeze.
- I tried Fedora 23 and Linux Mint 17.3, both with similar problems described above with Ubuntu.
- I am currently using Fedora 24 and find it to be the most stable. I still can't use mDP and can't put it to sleep without a crash, but I can at least plug-in and remove HDMI while booted.
See also this reddit thread for a conversation regarding Ubuntu and displays with the T460
I'm on 16.04 LTS. Upgraded bios to 1.11 and installed kernel 4.5.2-040502-generic. HDMI works, and yesterday it worked all day long. Today, however, it freezes all the time. The last thing I see in the kernel logs is this: http://pastebin.com/qpTJU9Bu
Edit: with kernel 4.6 hdmi seems stable for me. What I did:
#!/bin/sh mkdir -p /tmp/kernel46 && cd /tmp/kernel46 wget http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v4.6-yakkety/linux-headers-4.6.0-040600_4.6.0-040600.201605151930_all.deb wget http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v4.6-yakkety/linux-headers-4.6.0-040600-generic_4.6.0-040600.201605151930_amd64.deb wget http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v4.6-yakkety/linux-image-4.6.0-040600-generic_4.6.0-040600.201605151930_amd64.deb sudo dpkg -i *.deb sudo reboot