I know that this question has been asked several times before, but I have not yet discovered a solution that works.
If I explain step-by-step what happened, perhaps someone might be able to suggest a solution. For your information, I use an Acer 64 bit laptop.
- I selected 'other' under installation options, and created my own partitions as instructed.
- I clicked install. Installation went fine, until there was an error somewhere near the end.
- Couldn't boot into Ubuntu, so turned the computer off.
- Turned the computer back on, and was just getting blinking white dash at top left hand corner of screen.
- Pressing f2 or f12 caused the computer to bleep.
- Reinstalled Ubuntu successfully - assigning it to partitions I had created before (I think).
- Ubuntu worked, but no boot option for Windows.