After upgrading I lost the ability to set up a "shared" folder. The folder would not hold the share designation or would refuse to be shared and report a 255 error. The answer to the question of setting up lost shares is as follows:
- The upgrade from 12.04 to 14.04.3 changed, either the folder permissions or how Samba works with file sharing (I'm still not positive).
- What I found was that some folders had full read, write, execute (rwx) permissions and some did not. I discovered that Samba needs full rwx permissions ... including "Everybody". This means that EVERY folder in the path needs FULL rwx permissions. (This was written about in the help above, by Kukulo. Thank you!)
- To accomplish this investigation and final resolve, I downloaded a GUI application called "Uprawnienia" (which means Permissions in Polish) from the Ubuntu Software Centre. This is a graphical application that lets a person, visually, make changes to the user, group, and permissions of any file or folder at the Root level (requiring Root password).
- Using Uprawnienia I dragged and dropped each folder (that was in the path) into the application and changed it's permissions until I was able to share the folder over the network. In my case the path was "/media/main/3TB2-Extra". I changed the permissions of (going backwards) 3TB2-Extra, then main, then media. By doing this I discovered that the permissions of each folder in the path needs to be set to full rwx for owner (rwx), group (rwx), and everybody (rwx). The octal for this is 777, it's also read as drwxrwxrwx for a folder (d=folder).
NOTE: Files within the folder DO NOT need to be changed recursively (using -R or the check box in Uprawnienia). Each file can and should have it's own permissions, depending on who needs access! My recommendation is NOT to change permissions for all of the files within a folder in this method! I use -R and now I have to change each file, one-at-a-time, to get them back to where I want them.
My Discovery: While many people use the terminal to change file user, group, and permissions with "chown" and "chmod" commands, then follow it up by reading those results with "ls -l", I will not be using the terminal from now on for these operations. It is too easy to make a mistake typing and it is too hard remembering what changes are made (especially if you typically don't use the terminal and are not a programmer). It is my personal opinion that my time can be better served and the changes make more sense when using a GUI application. I was able to overcome a very obscure and convoluted file permissions problem, only with the help of a GUI. I would recommend a GUI in any file permissions process.