How can I type an en dash?

On OS X, I can type Alt + - (hyphen). On Windows, I can type Alt+0150.

If you're not familiar with the different types of dashes, you can read about them here.


You have to press Ctrl + Shift + u (for Unicode characters) then add the respective hexadecimal number of your symbol, which you can get from the Character Map (gucharmap) and press enter. In your case this would be 2013 or 2010.

  • 1
    Thanks. Is it possible to map this to a shortcut? – Joe Mornin Feb 22 '16 at 22:52
  • 3
    After searching around, it looks like Compose+--. is the fastest way—but if there's something even faster, that would be great. – Joe Mornin Feb 23 '16 at 0:57

Compose+--. is the fastest way.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.