- I have installed the minimal UBUNTU 15.04 - NO GUI and I DO NOT want it.
- This Ubuntu has 3.19.0-49-generic kernel.
- When the system boots with this kernel at the beginning I can see strange characters/letters/numbers - totally unreadable (see attachement). But after few seconds my screen is going black and nice, white, readable characters are displayed - so it works. Nevermind wrong beginning (see attachement).
After login I ran this command for you, to help me to discover something:
sudo lspci | grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Device 22b1 (rev 21)
sudo lshw -C display
description: VGA compatible controller product: Intel Corporation vendor: Intel Corporation physical id: 2 bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0 version: 21 width: 64 bits clock: 33MHz capabilities: pm msi vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom configuration: driver=i915_bpo latency=0 resources: irq:119 memory:80000000-80ffffff memory:90000000-9fffffff ioport:f000(size=64)
- I wanted a realtime kernel so I builded one - 3.18.25-rt23
- I successfuly builded a new realtime kernel BUT my graphics goes wrong. While booting I can see unreadable characters/letters and later is my screen totally black. Linux is running because I can access to it thru serial console. Serial console is OK.
I do not want HD picture, I do not want the X server or similar. I want simple, stupid black window with white characters and VGA monitor and I cannot have it. I tried many options without success.
This is my actual /etc/default/grub file:
GRUB_DEFAULT=0 #GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0 GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=false GRUB_TIMEOUT=3 GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian` GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="text" GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="console=tty0 console=ttyS0,115200n8" # Uncomment to enable BadRAM filtering, modify to suit your needs # This works with Linux (no patch required) and with any kernel that obtains # the memory map information from GRUB (GNU Mach, kernel of FreeBSD ...) #GRUB_BADRAM="0x01234567,0xfefefefe,0x89abcdef,0xefefefef" # Uncomment to disable graphical terminal (grub-pc only) #GRUB_TERMINAL=console # The resolution used on graphical terminal # note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE # you can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo' #GRUB_GFXMODE=1280x1024 # Uncomment if you don't want GRUB to pass "root=UUID=xxx" parameter to Linux #GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true # Uncomment to disable generation of recovery mode menu entries #GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY="true" # Uncomment to get a beep at grub start #GRUB_INIT_TUNE="480 440 1"
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for any help. On another PC I do not have strange characters/letters. But I need it on my Gigabyte N3050N-D2P board!
UPDATE: I think that this is only kernel problem. I tried to recompile kernel again with some settings in Graphics menu and it is better - I still have a black screen after booting but when it boots the display is flashing and I can see for a moment boot messages clearly. But monitor is flashing and then goes black again.
I attached a pictures from my booting screen:
And then just 2x flash with readable boot messages and then it is going black forever.